Every industrial and commercial space has high-traffic areas—from corridors and entryways to common doorways and pass-throughs. As time goes on, signs of wear in these areas become more apparent, and they aren’t exactly nice to look at.
But instead of replacing the flooring in those high-traffic areas every couple of years, what if you could extend their life and get another year or two of use out of them? It’s a no-brainer. Extending the life of the floors in your industrial or commercial facility’s high-traffic areas is a great way to save money and keep your facility looking great.
After installing a durable, high-traffic floor coating (such as epoxy or urethane), follow the 10 tips below to maximize their lifespan and get the most out of your investment.
10 Tips for Extending the Life of Epoxy Flooring
Epoxy flooring is the most popular type of flooring for high-traffic areas, thanks in large part to its versatility and durability. While it’s resilient, there are still things you can do to help it last as long as possible. Keep reading for our top 10 tips for extending the life of flooring in high-traffic areas.
1. Watch for spills. Acids and strong chemicals should be cleaned up immediately to prevent the topcoat from becoming damaged. Leaving a spill for too long can result in discoloration and softened coatings.
2. Maintain equipment wheels. If your high-traffic areas are used by heavy machinery, such as forklifts, make sure the wheels are in good condition. Worn steel wheels with imperfections are known to cause scratches and marks, which can shorten the life of your epoxy flooring.
3. Polish the floor. Use a polymer wax to restore gloss and fill in minor scratches. This step alone can add a significant amount of life to your floors.
4. Use the correct cleaning solutions. Always spot-test any new cleaners prior to use, and always rinse the floor completely to ensure no films or residues remain.
5. Use mechanical cleaning equipment. Heavily soiled areas often require some extra scrubbing power. The right equipment can help you shorten your cleaning time while providing an effective solution.
6. Avoid stiff bristles. Though they can help with scrubbing, stiff bristles have also been shown to dull coatings and wear away at them, shortening their lifespan.
7. Sweep the floors daily. This will remove stones, dirt, leaves, debris, and other materials that can scratch or damage the floor. This step is especially important if wheeled traffic crosses the coatings.
8. Take precautions. Try to avoid dropping and dragging heavy and/or sharp objects across the floor. When possible, carry or use a hand truck to move boxes, pallets, and other objects.
9. Use furniture pads. Place them on the bottoms of chair and table legs to prevent scuff marks and scratches on the epoxy coatings.
10. Stay away from products containing methylene chloride. This chemical is used to remove epoxies and urethanes and can significantly damage or ruin the floors in your high-traffic areas.
Call A&K Painting for High-Traffic Flooring Solutions
To learn more about our high-traffic flooring solutions, reach out to the team at A&K Painting. We’re committed to helping industrial- and commercial-facility managers find and implement the most effective and cost-efficient solutions for their specific needs. We look forward to speaking with you!